Sunday, October 25, 2015

Lessons Learned From Covering Classes

I've recently spent some time covering classes so that my teachers could attend PD, attend meetings or to relieve them of covering a colleague so they have more time to plan and grade.  When I cover, the kids know that I am not the "regular" teacher that they are used to and seem to flip a switch.  As anyone that has taught middle school knows, when a pre-teen decides that they would like to cause an issue, they can get very creative.  It has been quite a struggle for me.  While in the role of coach it is more difficult to develop those meaningful relationships with students, there are some that I have seen repeatedly, in different contexts that I have developed a rapport with.  One of these young ladies was particularly disruptive during a class that I covered for a colleague.  When I saw her later that day, I asked her about it.  She said, "You were a substitute, so I just felt like being bad."  

When I cover a class, it is an exceptionally difficult situation.  I am running a room with procedures and policies that are not mine, that I did not invest the time with the students in creating, and that I may not be completely aware of.  I do not have a relationship with all of the students; I am dependent upon a seating chart or class list to know most names.  Over the first few months of school, I have developed relationships with some students, but not nearly all of the 600+ students in the school.  And my consequences are limited.  I can speak with the teacher when they return.  If the infraction is real bad, I can call the office, but I don't have the built in consequences that come from developing a class code of conduct together.

What I've realized, besides how difficult of a job a substitute teacher has, is that those first few weeks of school are vitally important for establishing a culture of learning.  I've read it in every ed book out there, but living it gives a completely new perspective.  Nothing can replace strong sets of procedures and norms, coupled with meaningful relationships with students.  After a decade of teaching in my own room, these ideas just became part of my natural classroom set up.  In this new role, I'm re-learning the importance of establishing this atmosphere with students.  I'm hopeful that my struggles with their students does not hurt my credibility, but I think time is one of the most precious resources we can offer as educational coaches, so I will continue to offer coverage.  I'm also hopeful that my inability to establish my own policies and procedures with students will help serve as a reminder that next year this is an area to get teachers to collaborate on before the start of the year.

So what are those key elements that help a teacher develop those relationships?  What are the ways that we build consequences and rewards that become intrinsic motivators?  How do we help our teachers develop these ideas to implement with their own students?  What have you tried?  What has worked?  

No comments:

Post a Comment